Happy New Years! I hope everyone had a great holiday season!
One thing I did not count on this season was a bad cough hitting my son! This cough kept him up most of the night and traditional medication did NOT work. See my son has type 1 diabetes and cough medicine is full of sugar. It is hard to know how it’s going to affect him and last night was not a good night. Not only did the cough syrup DID NOT work, it spiked his sugars! So at 4 am when I went to check on him for the fifth time I decided to try something different!
I grabbed my cypress essential oil and placed three drops in his diffuser beside his bed, along with two drops of peppermint essential oil. Then I decided to make him a rub to ease his cough. Because it was 4 am I needed something quick and easy!
- Small mason jar (this one holds 125 ml)
- Refined coconut oil (I like this one)
- 5 drops of Cypress Essential Oil (buy here)
- 4 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil (buy here)
- 4 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (buy here)
- 4 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil (buy here)
- 2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil (buy here)
- Fill jar 3/4 of the way with coconut oil (so that you can still mix)
- Add essential oils
- Mix all well.
- Apply to chest and back.
******* Get your essential oils today at 24% off retail!!********
I originally purchased Cypress Essential Oil for my legs. I have vasculitis and get horrible bruising on my legs as my blood vessels burst under my skin. Cypress is amazing for circulation and decreasing swelling so I thought I would give it a try. So far I haven’t needed to use the cypress yet so it has been sitting in my oil box. But then my son started out with this horrible cough and I was out of RC so I thought I would make something up for him.
Cypress essential oil is obtained from the needles of the cypress tree in Spain. It has a clean and energizing aroma that is known for it’s antiseptic, antispasmodic (relieve spasm of involuntary muscle), antibacterial, stimulating and anti-rheumatic properties.
Ways to use Cypress:
- 3 drops in a carrier oil and rub on chest for a cough (acts like Vic’s Vapour Rub)
- Apply topically diluted with equal parts carrier oil to treat arthritis, restless leg syndrome, carpal tunnel, cough or cold, cramps and Raynaud’s syndrome.
- Also great for:
- Increase circulation
- Decrease swelling
- Stops nosebleeds
- For Raynaud’s syndrome, mix 3 drops in a carrier oil and rub on hands.
- Rub on charlie horses and muscle spasms
- Add 5 drops to a bath to relieve respiratory issues
- To reduce phlegm, add 3 drops to a pot of boiling water. Take off stove and place towel over head and breathe in steam for 5-10 minutes.
I hope you are having a wonderful start to the new year! I’m excited to see what 2017 brings!
As always, please be cautious with the essential oils you use. Not all are made equally and some are NOT intended for topical use. You must be careful with exposing your skin to low quality essential oils as your skin absorbs the oils very quickly. I ONLY use Young Living Essential Oils and are the only oils I trust for my family and myself. To read more about Young Living Essential Oils please click here.